Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Grateful or Disappointed? Is it just a phase?

My kids, for some reason have been doing nothing but lying. I know, this is a phase right? But really, should I be grateful that they are other wise great kids, or should I be disappointed that they have been lying.

So here's the deal. It's all about school. Isabel, she was in a class and competing for attention. She ended up getting these progress reports, stating she was a chatter box. No big deal right, what girl doesn't chat in class, but my child, one who has never been disciplined in class, FORGED the report and signed her dad's name. Not once, not twice but FOUR times! I pulled her out of that class and moved her into another and told her she was done with cheer. Is she really done with cheer, only if that behaviors continues, she will be.

Then there's my son, he has received a progress report card for two low grades. One C and one D. Now, I have asked him repeatedly WHY, his answer is "I don't know mom, I do everything I am supposed to do, I turn in my work, get good test scores, turn in all my homework" come to find out, he HAS been missing work! I called his school today and left a message for him to come straight home.

Now, let's back up about 16 years. When I was Isabel's age, I was as straight as a arrow. I never ever talked back to my mom, I never would even think of lying. The consequences were ones that you would never want to repeat such a behavior. When I was Raymond's age, I started street drugs and was ditching school, fighting and lying. What happened that was so huge for such a drastic change, my father took his own life and left us to suffer his consequences.

Granted, my children don't have the HUGE family issues I had to endour, but at what point do I say, "at least they aren't what I used to be like" or is that even something I can say? Since there is a huge difference in up bringing. Am I being to strict with my kids? Should I let them sly or should I be more strict then I already am. Anyone who knows me, knows my children are really good, well behaved kids, who for some reason have started lying. Is this a phase? Where do I go from here?




Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any parenting advice for you, but I was a teen not too long ago... From what I know about you is that you are very invloved and good to your kids. I know that I grew up with a parent very much UNLIKE you, so I imagine that all kids go through this phase. I bet that they don't want you to be disapointed with them so they are trying to hide thier mistakes. Just make sure that they know they can talk to you about anything and maybe the lying will start dying out. (i hope that made sense)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I appreciate each and every comment.

Have a blessed day!